RISK MANAGEMENT IN BANKING SECTOR: EMPIRICAL DATA FROM COMMERCIAL BANKS IN KOSOVO
Financial institutions are an important source of financial system functioning of a country and include banks, pension funds, insurance companies, microfinance institutions, and so on. While the risk of financial institutions presents their ability to lose, consequently the change of the actual cash flow from the planned one. Among the major risks facing financial institutions are credit risk, market risk, operational risk and liquidity risk.
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the risk management in financial institutions by making a survey with the banking sector, which accounts for most of the financial activities. For this reason, eight financial indicators are used to calculate the financial performance of the eight commercial banks involved in the research, which operate in Kosovo, taking into account the last two years of their operation. From the data derived from these indicators, using the One-Way ANOVA analysis, differences between banks were investigated according to their performance. As a result, it has been found that there are significant differences between banks according to liquidity risk, credit risk, equity risk and profitability risk. In addition, a linear regression model was also performed, which shows that the change in the return on equity (ROE) depends almost entirely on the change in the other seven indicators included.
2. Apostolik, R., & Donohue, C. (2015). Foundations of Financial Risk. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
3. Burton, M., Nesiba, R., & Brown, B. (2015). An Introduction to Financial Markets and Institutions. New York: Routledge.
4. Economic Bank, K. (2017). Annual Report of the Economic Bank. Retrieved August 8, 2018, from Economic Bank Website: http://www.bekonomike.com
5. Govori, F. (2010). Financë. Prishtinë: Instituti për Financa dhe Menaxhment.
6. Kanwar, A. A. (2005). Risk Management for Banks. PAF-Karachi Institute of Economics and Technology, 1(1).
7. Mishkin, F., & Eakins, S. (2009). Tregjet dhe Institucionet Financiare – Pjesa II. Prishtinë: Kolegji Victory.
8. Olamide, O., Uwalomwa, U., & Ranti, U. O. (2015). The Effect of Risk Management on Bank’s Financial Performance in Nigeria. IBIMA Publishing Journal of Accounting and Auditing: Research & Practice, Vol. 2015 (2015), 1-7.
9. Olamide, O., Uwalomwa, U., & Ranti, U. O. (2015). The Effect of Risk Management on Bank’s Financial Performance in Nigeria. Journal of Accounting and Auditing: Research & Practice, 7.
10. Ongore, V. O., & Kusa, G. B. (2013). Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Kenya. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3(1), 237-252.
11. Ongore, V. O., & Kusa, G. B. (2013). Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Kenya. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 237-252.
12. Schroeck, G. (2002). Risk Management and Value Creation in Financial Institutions. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
13. Wanjohi, J. G. (2013). The effect of financial risk management on the financial performance of commercial banks in Kenya. University of Nairobi.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.