Economic development is an aspiration for every country in the world including Kosovo. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) plays a very important role in the economic development of Kosovo which is in the process of transition. For Kosovo, it is essential to have an accelerated pace of economic growth, lower unemployment, higher quality of life, lower demographic migration and lower poverty rates, thus attracting FDI has a direct and very important role to play. Although Kosovo has a large number of advantages for attracting foreign investment, there are also a number of challenges or disadvantages that are very evident which negatively impact on current and potential investors in the future. Based on the data analysis, the overall trend of FDI has declined in recent years, therefore it is very important for Kosovo to develop further steps to improve the business climate in Kosovo and attract foreign investments.
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the performance of FDI in Kosovo 2008-2019, to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of doing business in Kosovo, to identify where Kosovo stands in terms of doing business and what is new for Kosovo in a way that improve the business environment and attract foreign investment. To achieve this goal of comparative analysis and identification, the integrative review method was used.
Key words: Republic of Kosovo, Direct Foreign investments, Business environment, Economic Development, Doing Business.
2. Badivuku-Pantina M. & Alishani A., (2015), “The History of Financial Crises - Global Financial Crisis”, Prishtina: Artini Publishing.
3. Badivuku-Pantina M. and Zogjani J., (2015), “The Role and Impact of Remittances on the Economic Growth - Kosovo Case Study” ILIRIA International Review, Vol 5, No 2 (2015) pg. 28. https://doi.org/10.21113/iir.v4i2.32
4. Central Bank of the Republic of Kosovo - Monthly Statistical Bulletin, (2019), [Online]. Available from: https://bqk-kos.org/repository/docs/2018/BQK_BMS_219_al.pdf, [Accessed 16 January , 2019]
5. Çollaku P., (2018), “Kosovo’s problem with foreign direct investment” [Online]. Available from: https://wiiw.ac.at/kosovo-s-problem-with-foreign-direct-investment-n-339.html, [Accessed 03 February , 2019]
6. Group for legal and political studies, (2017), “How ‘friendly’ is Kosovo for Foreign Direct Investments: A Policy Review of Gaps from a Regional Market Perspective” Prishtina.
7. Jusufi G. and Lubeniqi G., (2019), “An Overview of Doing Business in Western Balkan: The Analysis of Advantages of Doing Business in Kosovo and North Macedonia” ILIRIA International Review, Vol 9, No 2 (2019) pg. 168. https://doi.org/10.21113/iir.v9i2.512
8. Kristo I., (2004), “International Business ”, Tirana: Pegi, 2nd Edition.
9. Ministry of trade and Industry [MTI], Kosovo Investment and enterprise support agency – [KIESA] - Republic of Kosovo, “Reasons to Invest” [Online]. Available from: https://kiesa.rks-gov.net/page.aspx?id=1,15, [Accessed 05 January, 2019]
10. Ministry of European Integration – Republic of Kosovo, “Stabilisation and Association Agreement”, [Online]. Available from: https://www.mei-ks.net/en/stabilization-association-brprocess-, [Accessed 14 January, 2019]
11. OFFICIAL GAZETTE OF THE REPUBLIC OF KOSOVA, (2017), “LAW No. 05/L-079 ON STRATEGIC INVESTMENTS IN THE REPUBLIC OF KOSOVO” Prishtina, [Online]. Available from: https://mzhe-ks.net/repository/docs/LAW_NO._05_L079___ON_STRATEGIC_INVESTMENTS_IN_THE_REPUBLIC_OF_KOSOVO.pdf, [Accessed 25 January, 2019]
12. Kosovo Economic Reform Program 2019-2021 - Republic of Kosovo, [Online]. Available from:https://mf.rks-gov.net/desk/inc/media/85F252D8-FEAE-46BF-8CBDF110BBA0B8EE.pdf, [Accessed 10 January, 2019]
13. Riinvest. & Cipe., (2002), “FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENTS IN KOSOVO - Economic Policy, Environment and Promotion Strategy” .
14. Shkodra N. Xhemili N. and Badivuku-Pantina M., (2015), “Challenges and Problems in the Kosovo Reality Related to Foreign Direct Investment” ILIRIA International Review, Vol 5, No 1 (2015) pg. 82. https://doi.org/10.21113/iir.v5i1.6
15. Southeast European leadership for development and integrity [SELDI], (2016), “HIDDEN ECONOMY IN SOUTHEAST EUROPE: MONITORING AND POLICY IMPLICATIONS FOR GOOD GOVERNANCE” [Online]. Available from: https://www.cin.ba/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Policy-Brief-Hidden-Economy.pdf, [Accessed 17 January , 2019]
16. WORLD BANK - Country Snapshot, (2019), “An overview of the World Bank’s work in Kosovo”, Prishtina.
17. WORLD BANK GROUP, (2019), “A World Bank Group Flagship Report: Doing Business-Training for Reform”, 16th edition.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Array